Thursday, January 31, 2013

2013 Oscar Viewing Party

The 85th Annual Academy Awards are coming soon!
I've been working my hardest to see all the movies, and I'm almost done. Everyone knows there's no better way to celebrate an accomplishment than a good party. The stars gather to celebrate the fabulous films they have made, and we gather to celebrate the fact that we saw them.
Here are some helpful ideas and printables I've come across to help make Oscar night spectacular.

Invites
Although there's nothing wrong with a good evite, this is a classy affair, so you might as well class up your invites by sending them in the mail. I found these great invites at Twigs and Thistle. You can download them and print them out at home for free. Click the link below the picture for the printable.
Click for printable version
Decorations
Roll out the red carpet and welcome your friends in style.
You can buy your own red carpet on Amazon here.
Twigs and Thistle also provides a great statue printable for you to decorate 
your party with the man of the night.
Click for printable version
I hate not being able to remember what drink is mine at a party.
Eliminate the confusion with these cute as can be Oscar drink charms.
All you have to do is print, punch a hole, and add a ribbon.
Click for printable version
Games
In my house we love to guess who will win the category. We make it a competition and sometimes even bet money on it. This year is time to step it up. I found adorable 2013 voting ballots.
You can print out as many blank copies as you want. Have your friends fill them out before the show starts and see how many you get right.
Here is one I filled out with my picks, but you can get the blank version in the link below.
Click for blank printable version
Food
It's not a party without good food to munch on. Why not get creative with it?
You can have some standard party food, but dress it up Oscar style.

Cupcakes with Oscar themed toppers. Guess What? It's another free printable!
Click for printable version
Oscar themed popcorn boxes. Another free printable!
Just make sure you use some really heavy card stock for these.
Click for printable
Fancy gentleman hot dogs.
I have no tutorial for this but it doesn't look too hard.

Here is where my menu thoughts got a little out there, but stay with me because I like them.
I came across theese great Best Picture Nominee labels.
Click for printable
These little beauties got me on the thought path of movie inspired food.
Why not have a food inspired by each film nominated for best picture?
It sounded really great until it started getting hard, but I think you can still go with it.
Here is what I came up with:

Silver Linings Playbook - Philly Cheesesteak Sliders
Django Unchained - Chicken Wings
Beast of the Southern Wild - Shrimp Cocktail
(I was thinking red beans and rice for this one, but it's not really a party food)


Life of Pi - Lettuce Wraps
(or you could just have pie)
Les Miserables - Crescent Rolls
Amour - Baked Brie with Apples and Crackers


These last three was when it started getting hard.
Lincoln - Ginger Bread Cookies
(the President's favorite food)
Zero Dard Thirty - Glass Of Water
(no water-boarding allowed at the party)
Argo - Champagne Toast
(you know those people needed a drink when they got out of Iran)

Maybe you can come up with better movie inspired food than me.
Have fun getting ready for the Oscars!

3 comments:

  1. Here are some I thought of:

    Beasts... Chicken fingers (catered by Chick-Fil-A) and call them "gator tails"
    Silver Linings... Crabby Snacks (anything with crab, since no one really knows what these are. I'm serving crab-stuffed cucumber slices)
    Django... White cake
    Lincoln... Water (his favorite drink)
    Zero Dark Thirty... Hummus & Pita/Veggies to dip
    Argo... Champagne

    That's all I've come up with so far! Having a hard time with Les Mis, Amore & Pi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you update the popcorn boxes to say 85th instead of 84th??
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm I don't know how I missed that! I didn't actually make the boxes, just linked to them. I found them at http://www.twigandthistle.com I will check around and see if there is an updated version.

      Delete